Newmont CEO Tom Palmer, Santos CEO Kevin Gallagher, and Harmony Gold’s CEO Peter Steenkamp headline prestigious list of industry speakers at PNG’s top investment meet.
Mr. Tom Palmer, President and CEO of the world’s largest gold miner, Newmont Corporation, and Mr. Kevin Gallagher, CEO of energy multinational Santos Limited, headline an unprecedented cast of global resource and energy company CEOs that will be speaking at the upcoming 2023 PNG Resources and Investment Conference in December. They will be joined by CEO of South African multinational Harmony Gold Mr. Peter Steenkamp as well as CEO of Toronto stock exchange highflyer K92 Mining Inc, Mr. John Lewins. Industry giant such as TotalEnergies and ExxonMobil are also in the process of confirming their high-level executives who will represent them at the Conference.
The Conference, organized by PNG Chamber of Resources & Energy (PNGCORE) will be opened by PNG Prime Minister James Marape, and the program also features PNG Treasurer Ian Ling-Stuckey, PNG Petroleum & Energy Minister Kerenga Kua and PNG Mining Minister Sir Ano Pala. The Conference features over a hundred speakers from government and business sector from PNG and around the world. Well over 1500 delegates from the global minerals and energy industries and the investment sector from around the globe are expected to attend. Over 100 international and PNG companies have display booths in the exhibition.
Anthony Smaré, President of PNG CORE – “We are delighted that Mr. Palmer, Mr. Gallagher and Mr. Steenkamp are speaking at the Conference and are publicly backing PNG internationally. Newmont, Santos and Harmony are extraordinarily important contributors to PNG’s economy through their existing investments in the country, but their contribution is bound to rise in the next few years as the new projects such as Wafi-Golpu Copper project and the Papua LNG project complete their licencing and development contracts and begin construction. They have important perspectives to share in terms of what the major global trends are in the minerals and energy space, how that is impacting how they operate and invest globally, and how they view their investments in PNG in the context of that dynamic global environment.”
“The aim of this conference in particular is to highlight the upcoming project boom with the advancement of the Papua LNG project, Wafi-Golpu Copper project, Porgera gold mine restart and the P’nyang LNG Project, to focus the need for the PNG Government and stakeholders to do more to expedite these projects and to nudge PNG businesses to increase their preparations for maximizing their opportunities to participate in this upsurge in investment and economic activity”
As is custom at the Conference, there will also be bilateral investment meetings between these major investors and PM Marape and his team on parties can advance and expedite these project investments into PNG.
The Conference is PNG’s major investment conference and is being held in Sydney at the Sydney International Convention Center to make it easier for international investors to attend the event. The Conference’s purpose is to promote and encourage investing into PNG to boost the economic growth of PNG, and create employment and business opportunities for Papua New Guineans.
Why is the conference expected to be so well attended?
Attendees will be coming from all over the world to the Conference to:
- Hear from an unprecedented array of CEOs of global mining and energy companies on how they are navigating current challenges and opportunities globally and how PNG continues to have an important place in their international portfolios;
- Hear how existing mineral and energy operations are successfully operating in PNG;
- Hear about the next wave of new mega-projects, expected to double PNG’s GDP in next 8 years;
- Hear from Exploration License holders on new exploration discoveries and insights;
- Learn how PNG is looking to the future with its investing of resource-benefits for non-mining growth;
- Hear from PNG companies on how they are planning to participate in the upcoming project – led economic boom; and finally;
- Have the unique opportunity of being able to meet all the most important decision-makers – financiers, investors, operators, suppliers, and stakeholders of PNG’s resource and energy sector in one place over 4 days.